Part Time Firefighter
Parks and Grounds Technician I
See complete details below, including links to download applications, for each opening
Mocksville Fire Department
The Mocksville Fire Department is accepting applications for the position of part-time firefighter to fill part-time shifts with 12-hour day and night shifts available 7 days a week.
Town of Mocksville Pay Grade 12:
$10.50/hour during a 6-month probationary period
$11.03/hour after successful completion of probationary period
Annual employee evaluations are conducted with potential for a merit-based salary increase.
18 years old and a High School Graduate or GED
NCOSFM or IFSAC Firefighter certification
NCOSFM or IFSAC Hazardous Materials Operations certification
NCOEMS or National Registry EMT Basic
Valid Class “C” NC Drivers License (Must obtain Class “B” NC Drivers license within 1 year of hire date)
All completed applications must be returned to the Mocksville Town Hall by August 31, 2019.
Applicants must successfully complete the MFD Firefighter Applicant Physical Abilities Test
Upon successful completion of the physical abilities test, candidates will be scheduled for an oral interview.
Successful interview candidates will be notified and scheduled for a pre employment background check and physical with a potential start date of November 1, 2019.
Job duties and general responsibilities:
Response to calls from the public for assistance involving a wide variety of situations; all aspects of fire suppression and fire rescue, emergency medical care of the sick or injured, provision of specialized rescue service, including confined space rescue, trench rescue, rope rescue, HAZMAT, and driving/operating emergency and non-emergency vehicles
Effective communication with patients and physicians in emergency medical care situations.
Operation of various large and small hand and machine-operated tools (hydraulic and mechanical), including, but not limited to: hydraulic extrication tools, axes, prying tools, pike poles, trench rescue shoring jacks, emergency medical care equipment, confined space rescue tripod and winches, hazardous materials spill control devices, ventilation fans, chain saws, and circular saws
Inspection and maintenance of departmental equipment.
Various physically-demanding tasks related to firefighting, rescue, and response to requests for assistance requiring, but not limited to: lifting of heavy objects or persons, forcing entry, carrying heavy firefighting equipment, attacking fires by dragging and controlling fire hoses, dragging or carrying incapacitated persons, working in full firefighting and hazardous materials protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus, climbing ladders while carrying equipment, overhaul of structures through a systematic search for hidden fire, working in zero-visibility, hot, and smoky environments while wearing heavy and constrictive protective equipment. Working in water while wearing flotation protective equipment.
Participation in mandatory medical monitoring program and physical fitness program to assure ability to complete various physically demanding tasks.
Ability to lead citizen groups on tours of fire stations and explain basic function of various pieces of equipment and provide educational opportunities related to fire and emergency safety for different age groups.
Participation with in-house hazardous materials response team.
Knowledge of hazardous materials response and control techniques.
Basic maintenance activities related to upkeep of stations and grounds, including but not limited to painting of walls and ceilings, sweeping and mopping, apparatus cleaning, shoveling snow, and washing windows.
Effective verbal and written communications with the public and coworkers
Answer department phones in a professional manner. Record essential information to send appropriate department resources and or transfer calls to other agencies to most appropriately assist the caller.
Other related duties assigned by an officer of the department.
Interested applicants may click here to download an application or you may pick up applications at the Mocksville Town Hall located at 171 S. Clement Street, or at the Mocksville Fire Department located at 335 Sanford Avenue, Mocksville, NC 27028. Returned applications must include verification of prerequisite certifications via community college or NCOSFM certification summary transcript. Applications can be returned or mailed to town hall at the address listed above. If returning an application by mail, please mark it special attention MFD 2019 Firefighter Process.
Applicants will be notified after the application closing date of their scheduled physical abilities test time, date, and location.
TOWN OF MOCKSVILLE – PARKS AND GROUNDS TECHNICIAN I
Salary Range: 12.76-19.14
General Statement of Duties
Performs unskilled and semiskilled manual labor in maintaining all of the building and grounds for the Town of Mocksville.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class performs manual labor in maintaining Town structures, facilities, parks and grounds. Work includes mowing and landscaping, leaf collection, general maintenance including painting and carpentry, and janitorial duties. Employee will use a variety of tools and light equipment. Judgement is required in applying rules, procedures and decisions that may affect the quality or accuracy of results. Employee is under immediate supervision with detailed instruction and close frequent review of work.
Illustrative Examples of Work
- Maintains all shelters, buildings and greenways inside Town’s parks and other properties
- Mows, edges, trims, and waters lawns, fields and other turf grounds; prepare and fertilizes soil; operates the irrigation system
- Plants, cultivates, prunes, spray, fertilize and irrigate flowers, trees, grass and shrubs; pulls weeds and rakes leaves; edges walkways; sweeps litter from walks and driveways
- Maintains 27 satellite locations including the public works pump stations, public works shop, fire department, police station, town square, and multiple other areas throughout the town
- Operates a variety of power-driven equipment such as tractors, mowers, edgers, blowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers and other equipment used in grounds work; utilizes standard gardening hand tools; drives a vehicle to conduct work
- Maintains Town’s cemetery, including landscaping and marking grave plots
- Performs routine work in the preparation, lining, marking and dragging of athletic fields and related areas as assigned
- Performs preventative maintenance and routine repair on tools and equipment as needed to attain serviceability
- Ensures all playground equipment is in good working condition and safe for public use
- Maintains all grounds at town hall including the installation and removal of Christmas decorations
- Operates leaf truck on a daily basis throughout town from October through December
- Keeps all parks facilities clean and safe, including restocking of supplies, pressure washing, sanitizing equipment and fixtures
- Performs related work as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic knowledge of electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and carpentry work
- Knowledge of equipment and materials used in the construction and maintenance of grounds and landscaped areas and other facilities
- Knowledge of methods and techniques used in planting and caring for trees, shrubs, perennials, tropical, annuals, and grasses
- General knowledge of application procedures for controlling or eradicating plant pests and diseases
- General knowledge of athletic field preparation
- Ability to effectively communicate with coworkers, supervisory personnel, and the public
- Ability to understand and follow oral written instructions and ability to work with others and independently, as needed
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical work in a variety of environmental conditions
Physical Requirements of Work
Work is characterized as medium work requiring exertion of up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Employee must have visual acuity to perform semi-skilled mechanical tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as carpenters, plumbers, painters, mechanics, and to operate machines and trucks, forklifts, and other equipment. Employee is subject to outside environmental conditions, including temperatures below 32 degrees and above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour. Employee is subject to workplace hazards with mechanical equipment and atmospheric conditions with exposure to noise, vibration, fumes, odors, pesticides, dusts and potentially infectious bodily fluids. Work includes chance of injury or but is substantially controlled by using significant safety precautions including gloves, steel-toed boots, and protection of the ears, eyes, and breathing protection.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent
At least one year performing in a maintenance or landscaping setting
Valid North Carolina Drivers License
Interested applicants may click here to download an application or you may pick up applications at the Mocksville Town Hall located at 171 S. Clement Street,