Mocksville was incorporated in 1839. With a population of approximately 5,067, Mocksville is the county seat and Davie County’s largest town. Other incorporated towns in the county are Cooleemee, (1985) with over 900 residents and Bermuda Run, (1999) with over 1,400 residents.
In the late 1740’s, settlers began migrating west of the Yadkin River. The entire western portion of North Carolina was part of Anson County in 1748. Rowan County was a large undefined section of the northwestern part of our state and was formed from Anson County in 1753. The space between the Yadkin and South Yadkin Rivers that is part of Rowan County and as far west as the current Wilkes County, is known as the Forks of the Yadkin. Davie County was formed from this portion of land in 1836. The county was named Davie in honor of William R. Davie, a Revolutionary War Leader, governor of North Carolina, minister to France and a leader in the founding of the University of North Carolina.
According to records, a small village named “Mocks Old Field” was in existence before the American Revolution. Even then, the area was considered to be centrally located on the main north-to-south and east-to-west routes of travel in North Carolina. Mocks Old Field was used frequently as a secret meeting place for Colonial forces and planners, some of whom were family members of Davie County’s most famous citizen, Daniel Boone.
Mocksville listings on the National Register of Historic Places:
- Davie County Courthouse
- Former Davie County Jail
- Downtown Mocksville Historic District
- North Main Street Historic District
- Salisbury Street Historic District
Daniel Boone (1734 – 1820)
While the name Daniel Boone is associated generally with Kentucky and the West, he also lived in Davie County, in the forks of the Yadkin, for most of 13 years. Boone became the most important explorer in opening the land across the Appalachians to settlement and paved the way for rapid development of that region. From boyhood through manhood, Daniel acquired in Davie County the experience, fortitude, courage, endurance, resourcefulness and expertness with the rifle, which enabled him to succeed in his great undertaking.
Squire Boone, Daniel Boone’s father, was born in England in 1696, came to Pennsylvania about 1713, and married Sarah Morgan in 1720. They became the parents of eleven children, and Daniel, the sixth child, was born November 2, 1734. They were a prosperous, well-established Quaker family.
Squire Boone sold his 158-acre farm in Pennsylvania and probably reached North Carolina in late 1751 or early 1752. On April 13, 1753, Squire Boone acquired his first tract of land in Davie County along Elisha Creek. At approximately 18 years of age when his family moved to the county and as an early hunter and explorer, Daniel referred to the Forks of the Yadkin as the best hunting area he ever saw.
On August 14, 1756 at the age of 22, Daniel Boone and Rebecca Bryan, age 17, were married by his father, Squire Boone, who was a Justice of the Peace. Tradition tells that Daniel and Rebecca first lived in a cabin in Squire Boone’s yard. They lived for about 10 years near the fork of Sugartree (or Sugar) Creek, approximately two miles east of Farmington. There are no known records which describe this house, but four of his five children are believed to have been born there between May, 1757, and March, 1766.
During this decade while living on Sugartree Creek, Daniel farmed, hunted, explored and worked as a wagoner. According to the records, he received bounties for killing wolves, wildcats and panthers. Although Daniel and Rebecca temporarily left the dangerous and troubled Yadkin River area, he bought a 640-acre Bear Creek site in October, 1759 – which indicated the family definitely intended to return when the Indian danger and other disturbances were over.
Daniel and Rebecca did return to Davie County in 1762, but it is not known whether they returned to the Bear Creek site or his former home on Sugartree Creek. Possibly in the summer or fall of 1766, Daniel and Rebecca moved from their home in Davie County to Holman’s Ford on the Yadkin River about 8 miles north of the present Wilkesboro. Daniel and Rebecca left North Carolina in 1775 to finally settle in Missouri about 1800. Rebecca Boone died in 1813, and Daniel died seven years later in 1820.
Daniel’s father, Squire Boone, died January 2, 1765, and his mother, Sarah, died in 1777. Daniel’s brother Israel died on June 26, 1756. All are buried in the Joppa Cemetery, along with Daniel’s brother Israel, one-half mile west of Mocksville on Highway 601.
Reference: HISTORY OF DAVIE COUNTY by James W. Wall, 1997.
Each year hundreds visit our Davie County Public Library Martin/Wall History Room to trace their genealogy connections to Davie County. The room contains many volumes and reference materials and a very knowledgeable staff of historians. The library is located at 371 North Main Street, Mocksville and their phone number is 336-751-2023. For additional Davie County genealogy information, link to www.rootsweb.com/~ncdavie/index.html
Downtown Mocksville Historic District– In 1991, Downtown Mocksville was accepted into the Main Street Program, which is part of the National Register for Historic Places, and is designed to offer grassroots assistance to historic downtowns in their revitalization efforts. We were part of a pilot program especially designed for small downtowns with a population of less than 5,000.
In downtown Mocksville, antique, specialty and novelty gift shops occupy restored buildings. Visitors and residents enjoy the craftsmanship of artisans on the square and other shopping areas. Small shops and home-style restaurants are tucked away throughout the county with treasures just waiting to be discovered.
Visit www.historicdowntownmocksville.com for more information.
Joppa Cemetery is one of the oldest and most historic graveyards in Davie County. The burial grounds contain the graves of Squire and Sarah Boone, parents of Daniel Boone and Daniel’s Brother, Israel Boone. Daniel Boone lived near Bear Creek during his teens and early twenties. A North Carolina historical marker notes the spot of the cemetery located on US 601 in Mocksville (Yadkinville Road).
The Davie County Courthouse is a neo-classical revival style building, erected in 1909 in downtown Mocksville. The courthouse and accompanying jail were built at a cost of approximately $40,000. (They were built where the old Davie Hotel once stood.) The original courthouse was built in 1839 and stood in the center of the Town Square. The Courthouse is located on Main Street in Mocksville.
The former Davie County Jail was completed in 1839 and is now privately owned. It is one of two Federal style brick buildings which still survive in Mocksville. The jail served the county until 1909 when the new Courthouse and jail were built. The former jail is located on Main Street at the intersection of US Highway 601 and Highway 64.
The Veterans’ Memorial Marker in the Town Square records the names of 368 Davie County men who died in military service from the Civil War to the present.